BULLY BEATDOWN HAS IT BACKWARDS

March 24, 2009 by

Did you check out the premiere of “Bully Beatdown“? What did you think?

I think it’s all backwards. But first, here’s how the show works. Someone who is getting bullied goes to Mayhem Miller and pleads his case to get someone beat down. Mayhem then goes to the bully and offers him the chance to win money and get in the ring with an MMA fighter.. Then they actually give some training — to the bully.

What?!?! I think the show would be infinitely more interesting if they took the “victim” (as they are called) and hooked them up with some MMA training. Then THAT PERSON gets to step into the cage and take on the bully.

I don’t care much if a bully gets plastered by some MMA fighter. That’s expected and it will get old in short fashion. What would be exciting though is to see the victims get some training and get their true vengence, along with winning some money.

Ad

Comments

22 Responses to “BULLY BEATDOWN HAS IT BACKWARDS”

1. GG on March 24th, 2009 1:16 pm

I actually really enjoyed the show for all of its quirkiness. And Miller is really good.

In a perfect world, what you said would be better, but the problem with that is you have amateur hour fighting and the MMA community wouldn’t get behind it. I’m not sure they’ll get behind this one either, but the worst thing you want people to think is that anyone can train for two weeks and become an MMA fighter.

2. Zoner on March 24th, 2009 3:30 pm

good points. But it’s not like the bully is a trained fighter either.

Mayhem is fun though — he may be the best part of the show. I think the show will also depend on the victim and bully. A little more energy from them would go a long way.

3. GG on March 24th, 2009 4:19 pm

What would happen though if you had two amatuers is that you’d have something the equivalent of Bum Fights or Toughman Boxing and MMA has tried to steer very clear of that kind of fighting defining them for a while. At least, until Kimbo came along. Ha!

4. Boner Bob on March 25th, 2009 9:32 am

My favorite part was the HOT in ring announcer Hawns….What a beefcake! I’d like to see him in a singlet……Except for I heard he has herpes!

5. Matt on March 25th, 2009 10:27 am

C’mon Bob! The announcer wasn’t that HOT!

6. NESW Sports Headlines 3-25-2009 | NESW Sports, Sports Videos on March 25th, 2009 2:01 pm

[...] Bully Beatdown was wrong < Chicago’s MMA [...]

7. TPS Daily Linkage 03/25/09 - Debra A on March 25th, 2009 4:16 pm

[...] “Bully Beatdown” Has It Backwards – [ChicagosMMA] [...]

8. MMA Magazine on March 25th, 2009 7:13 pm

I saw it as well. I never thought about it like that though. It would make sense for the one who was picked on to train and win BUT what if they get beat down even more?

Plus it wasn’t or usually isn’t an even fight in the bully scenario and makes sense why they put someone more than competent to beat down the bully.

I don’t think the bully got it that bad though. No blood… come on now….

9. Matt J on March 26th, 2009 3:43 am

I agree, the big sexy anncr guy made the show!

-Matt

10. Jim M. on March 28th, 2009 8:56 am

It may be (and I agree it would be) more interesting to see the victim get trained to beat the bully, but that idea would only work in very unusual situations. It takes years of training to be able to beat someone who is out of your league physically and just the emotional aspect (aka, big brother beats up little brother for years when growing up – little brother will have a hard time beating big brother – ever) would take a lot to get over. I don’t think the show wants to spend months or years training people to do this. Instant martial arts training normally only happens in the movies.

- Jim

11. razr on April 26th, 2009 12:52 pm

i think the victims shud tuffen up a lil and handle therown probs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. gh0st on May 22nd, 2009 11:51 pm

Ok…I just stumbled off the Interwebs because I stumbled across this show. I will give the author complete leeway as I have no idea who he is.

That being said, I really couldn’t think of a more…I don’t know, it seems like you want a silly Hollywood movie where the plucky little David takes a few Karate lessons and conquers Goliath. Even Danielsan trained for a while. I am FAR from an MMA fighter, but I appreciate these guys enough to comprehend that it would take WAY more than a week or two in a gym with a trainer to give the ‘vic’ anything meaningful.

Also, lets consider for a minute what a bully *is*. These are not people who go out and look for the baddest ass dude they can find and pick a fight with them. These are 9 times out of 10, guys who look for smaller, weaker victims who they can prey on. Yes, a 120 lb. guy could kick the shit out of 240 lb. guy under the right circumstances. However, you average 120 lb. Joe off the street is going to lose pretty much every time to a 240 lb. beast.

Yes, Rocky episodes each week would be really cool. But it is, as far as I can get my head around it, utterly and completely undoable. Take it for what it is: these are guys who look for victims, getting utterly victimized. …oh, and its pretty damn good TV.

13. Von824 on July 7th, 2009 4:35 am

I seen the show and thought it was great. It was funny hearing the bullies talk smack and how no one can beat them and then the MMA fighter shows them they are not as tough as they thought and gave them a bit of humility. Those MMA fighters didnt go all out on those bullies, they held back a lot of what they really could have done. I have had many submission type matches myself and there is no way someone can learn enough submission tactics to whoop their bully in 2 weeks or even a month.

V

14. Daniel on July 11th, 2009 11:00 pm

I have a big problem with a bully and have no idea how to get him to stop. He is a terror and only preys on those half his size or smaller. He is 22 or 23, 170lbs, 6ft 1, or two… very angry… usually. He likes to intimidate anyone he can… He swears to be able to take on anyone, yet, never approaches anyone competent.

I watched this show and he was the first person I thought of immediately. He is worse than I think any of those bullies seen on the show are. He is a loudmouth with no regard for human life and makes life almost unbearable to live. Embarrasses people because to him, it is fun, no less, in front of their girlfriends too and everything!! It’s so hard, and it’s very very bad. I need help. Please…

I would really love to watch him get what he deserves, even if it means playing the victim role on the show and admit it in front of the whole world what he does…
    If anyone knows… Please help.

Thanks,
    Dan

15. Mike "Rager" on July 13th, 2009 11:45 am

I am 32 and have been training since I was 5! Kwon-do, Jitsu, kung-fu-Kenpo! I grew up in a world of bullies, although I cant stand them, they are in-secure weasels and dont stand a chance among a trained fighter. Is this for real? I read on the web that this show is fake and scripted!! I have great respect for trained martial artists and wouldn’t want to find out that this show is a farce as the web states.
    As for the bullies out there, do you really think you can take an mma fighter? HaHa cuz you arent on the street usuing street moves like head butting and eye goudging, your in the ring, in the mma world!! Well good luck to everyone out there and Rage on !!!

16. thatreallycuteguy on August 24th, 2009 8:03 pm

I would love to see ‘Matt’ from “Operacion Repo” get his just desserts, because he is DEFINITELY a Bully, going out of his way to antagonize people, in an already tense situation, just so he can prove he can outfight them. Of course, the “repo-ees” may not be the most credible “victims”. But for once it would be good to see that over-the-hill, dried up, ‘roid-dependent wannabe ,humbled and humiliated so he learns to treat other people with respect.

17. kenyon on October 24th, 2009 10:25 am

I have a problem with two guys constantly picking on me and I’m wondering how to get them on this show. Ive told them to stop time after time but they tell me that will never happen. How do I get them on bully beat down?

18. DAvid on November 9th, 2009 12:46 pm

The bully is most always bigger then his victims, that’s what they do so as not to get hurt themselves. So what the show should do is compare the size of the bully to the victim and match accordingly. Use a bigger MMA fighter so the bully knows how it feels to be faced with someone a lot bigger.

19. Carol on January 25th, 2010 12:05 pm

My husband & I LOVE this show. My husband is a retired fighter now and he thinks its great to see these punks get put in their place. A lot of these bullies were picked on as children so for them its personal. They can relate to some of these guys. We’ve seen “victims” with broken bones, messed up eyes, etc etc and I’m sorry but karma will get you. These bullies deserve everything they get. The funniest one was when the rapper who was stalker obessed with his ex gf, punked out of his fight because “his shoulder hurt”. I dont think anyone bought that. Bottom line is, its a realty tv show. Dont go expecting a huge story line etc because its real life. Its comical and these jerks learn a good lesson. Leave it at that.

20. Todd on January 25th, 2010 12:06 pm

As far as matching them with bigger fighters…thats illegal. Thats why in real fighting there are weight classes. As much as I’d love to see Brock Lesnar come in and beat down a little bully with a little man complex..its not going to happen.

21. Janis Cook on March 15th, 2011 3:17 pm

I am our bigest fan and i sean most of our eposodes i am in mma to i want to know wear the bully beatdown stadiom is and i would like to meet you i like mma i am 10 years old i train at lightning kicks i would liketo be on our sh when i git older i live in kalamazoo i live at 1812 state street

love’

Janis cook

22. collem whisenant on June 7th, 2011 5:47 pm

u are my favorite fighter i wish to meet you in person i have a bully that pics on me he stole my gf that i was in love with me and everytime he sees me he jumps me he allways has friends who try to beat me up with him i need help i need it bad im tired of not be able to get out of my house without getting followed and beaten up my number is 254 485 8065

Leave a comment...