Local Events

The Brief But Destructive Wake of Praetorian Fighting Championships

on

Santiago says the business aspect isn’t the worst part of his dealings with Martinez. He’ll soon forget about the money lost. He’s most disappointed in the fact that he trusted Martinez to do his job as a promoter and keep his word to put on fights.

“He shit on me, the other fighters, my teammates that bled, sweat and hurt with me and most of all he disrespected me when all I wanted was a shot,” Santiago said.

Santiago trained hard to get into shape and get ready for his October debut, but that got canceled. Martinez had rescheduled the event for November 22, but at the beginning of the month Santiago still hadn’t heard from Martinez. That’s when he called the hotel and they informed him that the venue had not been booked by Praetorian. It was then that he realized he wasn’t going to be fighting in November either. It hit him hard.

“I’ve lost almost 30lbs. I’ve busted my ass, trained through injury and now I look like a fool at my school. I’m sure they will understand but this sucks the life out of you. I’m crushed, it really sucks.”

Santiago agreed to fight for Praetorian because Martinez talked up his accomplishments in the cage. It was important to Santiago that he work with and fight for someone that was going to take utmost care of the fighters. Martinez assured him that would be the case, and even embellished upon his own amateur MMA career.

“He always talked like he had multiple fights and crushed people. He assured me over and over that he was a fighter and had tons of fights and he knew where I was coming from,” Santiago said.

Santiago suffers from more than just the personal pain of having a dream crushed. He had family and friends purchase tickets for his October fight, which was canceled and rescheduled. And canceled again. Those people have not received refunds yet.

“I basically begged him to pay my family and friends back if he’s planning on bolting and he said he would, that the money supposedly sits in a PayPal account. I told him to please let me know if he wasn’t planning on paying them because I would have to figure out a way to pay these people back to save face. He said he would and that was that.”

Santiago made a post on Facebook in which he wrote about not giving up, thanked all his teammates for helping him get ready for his debut and told people how to go about getting their refunds. Martinez’s response to that post was to ridicule him in the comments section.

“Oh boy, let me get out the violin and the academy awards lol,” Martinez wrote. Shortly after posting it, Martinez deleted it.
Click page 7 below to continue reading

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

About Matt Lo Cascio

Matt Lo Cascio is a former TV producer who turned to new media in 2005. He is the play-by-play announcer for the XFO. His work has been published by ESPN.com, Red Eye, WLS-AM, Guyism, Guyspeed & more. He chose this photo because it makes him look "writer-y."

Recommended for you

7 Comments

1. Alex Talavera

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:15 pm

Can somebody contact me about this. Alex owes me money also and I have plenty of proof of his shady acts.

2. Tom Barnes

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:49 am

Add my name to the list …Months before the first show , Martinez walked up to me at a XFO show and said we had worked together at the old Mayhem Promotions shows and that he’s starting a MMA Promotions Company and would love to have my services at his events. So I did the first weigh-in and fight night ….It will probably come as a shock but I was never paid …never did another one of his shows …

3. Anonymous

Nov 21, 2013 at 2:51 pm

He owes me money too! Shady shady person- NO ONE DO BUSINESS WITH ALEX MARTINEZ!

4. P Diddy

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:53 am

If you think he screwed over MMA fighters, you should see how badly he f***** over teammates with the Chicago Bulldogs and the leagues his teams played for.

5. Steve

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:51 pm

If we’re talking about hurting the sport of mma, why doesn’t somebody do a piece on the corruption that is accompanied with the regulations? I first hand have seen certain shows be able to get away with actions that other shows in the same state cannot. Seems to me that these “safety” regulations are just another way to monopolize and play favorites.

6. IF U ONLY KNEW

May 26, 2014 at 8:58 am

ALEX MARTINEZ IS A FRAUD, CON ARTIST, MANIPULATOR, SOCIOPATH LIAR!!! HE TAKES ADVANTAGE OF PEOPLE TO BENIFIT HIMSELF IN ANY AND EVERY POSSIBLE WAY… HE IS A MONSTER AND NEEDS TO BE HELD ACCOUNTED FOR ALL HIS DIRT. I KNOW THIS BECAUSE HE DID IT TOO ME AND TRUST ME I HAVE PROOF OF ALL HIS DIRTY LIES. HE OWES ME MONEY TOO. THE MAN MARRIED TWICE WITHOUT GETTING A DIVORCE TO HIS FIRST MARRIAGE THIS IS JUST SAD HOW THIS MAN CAN GO AROUND HURTING PEOPLE LIVES AND GETS AWAY WITH IT. THAT HOCKEY TEAM HE LIKES TO CLAIM SO MANY GUYS HAVE BEEN THRU HIS SCAM HE TAKES THERE MONEY AND DOESNT DELIVER. THE MAN CANT SKATE YEA HE IS A 5FT GOALIE FOR THE TEAM BUT PUT HIM ON THE ICE FOR A GAME YOU WILL HAVE THE BEST LAUGH OF YOUR LIFE.

7. Carlos

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:11 pm

He sucks as a promoter, fighter, goalie, etc. Hope there is an update soon about the lawsuit – he needs to get slammed hard!